5 Ways to Help your Family while going through the emotions of an Open Adoption.
- Find a community of people that you can talk to that are also going through adoption or have had the experience, and lean on each other.
- Communicate! Communicate! Communicate! I can’t stress this enough! Communicate with all involved, as it truly makes it easier on everyone involved.
- Having a consistent schedule is key, to keep the situation as smooth as possible for the child going through the process and for your biological kids if applicable.
- Remind yourself when your sad or angry that you are doing this for the child. You are giving them what they deserve. I made a scrapbook of articles and pictures so the child always has something to hold onto wherever they may go. Make it a fun family activity to work on together.
- Be upfront to your family on the situation and what the possible outcomes could be. This effects many people in your personal circle, so educate all involved so that people understand the situation. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Advocate!